Sunday, May 26, 2019

A Week in Writing #248


Welcome to my weekly musings about my writing; what I've done or haven't done this past week towards my writing goals. While it often seems like there is more I haven't done I still try to keep things moving forward.

Every week, it seems, the emphasis is on Powers Squared and this doesn't start out like this will be an exception to the rule. Much to talk about, or write about in this case.

To begin with after what has been a couple of weeks of no new pages, this week we received not only pencils for four pages, but colors for four more, and a cover. Receiving the pages is great but it does mean more work for Paul and me, as we need to sit down and review everything. Not that that is a bad thing but that it does take precedence over everything else.

We are blessed to be working with both artists on our project. They are both good but also are willing to take criticism and even help out when we've made a mistake (I've made a mistake). As an example, I was looking over the last set of pages when I realized an error in one of the previous ones. Again, the mistake was mine, the script called for what Rachel drew but it suddenly occurred to me it wouldn't work well in connection to another story we had written for the future. Based on the timeline, having one character show up on page 8 in this issue wouldn't work with them showing up in a later story on a different timeline. I don't want to get too much into the weeds about it but you'll have to trust me it wouldn't work as well. Rachel remedied that without any fuss and enhanced the panel at that going above and beyond what we were looking for.

Nina sent us four pages and a cover this week as well. The cover is very good and eye-catching and there is even a real challenge that she more than rose up to. Again, without going into too much detail, we wanted to see something colored from a certain point of view and she managed to come up with something that works really well.

We are also prepping for our first real convention next Sunday. Powers Squared will be attending the San Fernando Valley Comic Book Convention, which will hopefully help us in the same way as Free Comic Book Day did. I believe I've said this before, while we want to sell comic books, the main goal is to get more people to sign up for our newsletter/mailing list in prep for our first Kickstarter, which I'm hoping to launch soon. I know I've written that before, but this time for sure, as Rocky would say when Bullwinkle was supposed to pull a rabbit out of his hat. If you haven't signed up yourself, dear reader, you can still do that by clicking here.

In other writing news, I started to work on The Runaway again this past week. As I've done before, I'm trying to get a running start on the rewrite by reading it and making changes as I go. The goal is to end up where I left off with a new sense of direction and purpose.

I also worked more on a short synopsis for Broken People. I'm not happy with it yet. I decided it was time to write one when I came across an agent wanting one as part of the query submission process. No new queries this past week though and no new rejections either, so it's sort of a win-win, right?

I don't know how many weeks we're on since I last heard from the editor on Familiar Stranger. Too many that's for sure. I'm a little embarrassed to say it but my mother got involved. She was the one who had introduced us originally and she took it on herself to reach out to him. Funny thing, when she dialed his number she got the same result I do, which is a chance to leave a message, which apparently goes out into the ether, never to be responded to again. I'm thinking about taking the unusual step of actually calling him where he works, you know to see if he's still alive. I'd really hate it if I've been ragging on someone who has left this mortal coil. That would be the only real excuse for all of the radio silence. But I somehow doubt it is all that cut and dry. Oh, but I have to try, don't I?

No new reviews this week, though I'm contemplating doing one on Sabrina. partly because I've recently seen it on TCM but also because I'm reading a Humphrey Bogart biography. We haven't gotten to that part of his story yet but what the hell.

My lack of writing them doesn't mean the Trophy Unlocked shelves are bare. Trevor wrote a review of Batman Beyond: The Return of The Joker as part of Batman month on the blog. The month-long dedication to the caped-crusader was his idea, so it's fitting he would close it out.

Well, that's about it for now. Hope to have more to write next week. In the meantime, keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment