Sunday, November 6, 2016

A Week in Writing #115

Another week dominated by a project at work, but also one that saw the possibility of a way forward with the comic. One of the guys I had read the book knows someone who might be interested in helping us make something more out of it. He basically took it on himself to pitch the comic book to another creator/producer and got a good reception. Really encouraging, which is nice and exciting to think about.

With work getting a little heavy and the book still in progress, we decided to wait until the beginning of next year to start talking further about it. I feel like we need to have Part 2 completed before we start to try to sell it, both as a book and for any other related projects. To that end, I need to emphasize to our artist and colorist (and letterer) that we need to get the book completed before the end of the year. This is the same group, and I'm not passing judgment here, that did not rise to the stretch goal I proposed during the summer to have it done by Labor Day, but hopefully, we're in a position where this can get done. The artist is on the last four pages and the colorist is actually doing some work after not doing much for a while.

On my side, I'm still working on rewrites for the next set of stories. Paul read through them and had some good comments. I'm going back through the scripts to edit some of the longer dialogue passages, since as he pointed out, space is limited. Trying to move dialogue around where possible and shortening where possible.

Did get a chance over the week to complete a review of 9, an animated film we saw a couple of weeks back. Far from being a perfect film, I did find myself being drawn in. I won't say more till the review is posted.

On that front, I did post the first of four reviews of film noir titles for noirember, Criss Cross (1949). The plan is to post three more before turning to Christmas films during December. I had an idea that I could review different versions of the same story, Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Just an idea, since I am not the only one who would have to watch them all.

Also wrote and posted a review of Doctor Strange, the 14th installment of the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe), which we saw on Saturday morning at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. We try to include new films with our steady diet of "classic" cinema on Trophy Unlocked.

Well, another week in the can and another week to look forward to. At this point, I'm hoping to finish the rewrites on issues 3, 4 and 5 in addition to hopefully getting back to my other rewrite projects. I will also need to get buy-in from our creative team to get Part 2 done in the next eight weeks. Oh and see if the rest of the family is with me on the Christmas Carol idea, since we'd have to start watching them sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment