Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Week in Writing #23

This week I felt like I really made some good progress on Familiar Stranger. With rewrites, its sort of hard to quantify word count as sometimes I'm going back over work I've already done. That said, I'm liking where the rewrite is going. I know I still have issues to deal with in the future, but I'm hoping that the work/rework I'm doing now will make those issues easier.

On the agent front, no queries and no new replies. I have found out about some new agents to add to my list and I'm planning on querying them as soon as I can. Still waiting to hear back from the agent with the complete manuscript. I'm also going to ping her again as well. While I suspect I'm not alone with my experience with agents. All I have to do is look at the comments on Query Tracker to see I'm not alone.

Also worked this week on a review for A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) which will be a future post on Trophy Unlocked. I'm also working on one for The Merchant of Venice (2004), as we've been watching Shakespearean adaptations lately and probably will off and on for the foreseeable future.

Got a boost with last week's post about It All Came True (1940) thanks in large part to the Warner Archive tweeting about the review. The added attention helped make it one of the higher read posts this year and my highest one on the blog this year. I followed that up by one that is looking to be quite unpopular. As has been a tradition with the blog, I've tried to highlight significant anniversaries. However, I don't think people were all that interested in the 100th anniversary of the release of The Birth of a Nation (1915).

I wasn't trying to celebrate the film, especially its message, but up until Gone With the Wind (1939), it was considered to be the biggest box office hit Hollywood had released. As an amateur film historian/film buff, I felt that the film deserved mention on the centennial of its release. Even on the TCM Classic Fan Union, where I also post, this one does not seem like a fan favorite.

But hey, the point is to do your best work. Hopefully readership will follow. I keep telling myself that's true with the blog and my other posts as well as with my fiction writing. Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment